I have passed JLPT N2 (/N1), do you think I can find a job in Japan?

Getting N1 or N2 in JLPT opens a lot of opportunities for you. Japanese companies are always in the search for qualified applicant who can speak and understand good level of Japanese to work for their company. 

Sometimes, head hunters might contact you if they see that your profile is qualified enough to be interviewed and hired. 

Will I be allowed to look for a job in Japan after I have finished my language school?

It depends on your academic background. Students with only a high school degree cannot look for a job in Japan after language school. However, if you have academic background of Graduate of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology, or Graduate of professional training colleges and have obtained your diploma, you can look for a job in Japan.

Even if you are unable to find a job before your graduation, you may continue your job-seeking activities for 1 year after the graduation by changing your resident status from ‘College Student’ to ‘Designated Activities’. Once you have found a job, your employer will sponsor you for a work visa.

Will I be able to go to a college or university in Japan after my language course?

Lectures in higher education institutions in Japan are conducted in Japanese almost exclusively. This is the reason why you should have a Level N1 or Level N2 at the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). Provided you have reached such a level and have the adequate academic knowledge, you will be able to pursue your studies in Japan. Your language school will help you apply and find a higher education institute in Japan. 

How much should I budget for daily expenses?

Provided your breakfast is taken at home, a normal lunch in a restaurant will cost you around 700 -1000 yen. If you will buy your lunch and dinner outside, you may need to spend at least 1500 – 2000 yen daily for your food budget. 

See our simulation of a student’s budget here.

Is it difficult to get a cellphone?

If you are planning to obtain a postpaid plan in Japan, you need to have a bank account first. If your level of Japanese is not yet good, you might have a hard time communicating to the cellphone company as there are forms and contract to sign. 

We suggest getting a data or data and voice sim without no contracts while you are in Japan. Please make sure first that your phone can be used in Japan networks. 


How can I get Health Insurance?

It is mandatory to subscribe to the National Health Insurance and, within 14 days of your arrival, this is one of the first thing you need to do. To read more, click here.

How can I open a bank account in Japan?

It is easy to open a bank account in Japan, and we recommend you to do so. To open an account, you will only need your Residence card. To learn more, click here.

Is it difficult to find a part-time job in Japan?

There are many part-time jobs in Japan. The type of job you can get will depend on the level of your Japanese. You can check free publications like Town work (you can find it any stations) or apps like Baitoru. 


Is it possible to work while studying?

Yes it is possible, under certain conditions:

1) You cannot work in the entertainment business (e.g. in bars, pachinko …) and

2) Your work should not interfere with your studies. You should only work maximum of 28 hours a week.

Once you are in Japan, you must apply to get permission to work part-time. To know more about this topic, please click here.

What types of accommodations can I choose if I study in Japan?

If your budget is tight, you can choose a dormitory. 

Share-house is also a good choice as you can have your own room but will have shared kitchen, toilet and laundry. 

If you value your privacy, you may also avail an apartment. We have several housing partners in Japan so let us know if you would like us to help you find a place in Japan. 

How can I find a place to live in Japan?

If you will be availing the school's accommodation, please let us know ahead of time so we can inform the school. Sometimes, vacancy is limited as it is booked by students for the whole term. 

If you want to get a housing outside, we can help you as we have several housing partners across Japan. Just let us know in advance. 

For more information about accommodations, click here.

What kind of schedule can I expect from a Japanese Language school in Japan?

Your schedule will depend on your Japanese level. School will group the total beginner as well as the advance students together. 

You will study 4 hours a day from Monday to Friday. Determining if you will be on morning or afternoon session will be up to the school. There's no school during national holidays so be guided accordingly. 


When do courses usually start?

There are 4 sessions in a year: January, April, July and October. 


What types of courses are there in Japanese Language Schools?

It depends on the school of your choice. 

You can go for Intensive course for those planning to enter Higher Education or the General Japanese Course. 

Some schools also offer short term courses for students who doesn't need student visa. Check your local Japan embassy to know if your country is qualified to come to Japan visa free, otherwise you may need to apply for Tourist Visa. 

What is JLPT?

JLPT means “Japanese Language Proficiency Test”. It is the most-recognized test to assess your Japanese language skills. You will need to reach certain levels of JLPT (N1 or N2) in order to be admitted to Higher Education Institutions or work in Japan.

JLPT test is only conducted twice a year for Asian countries and once outside Asia.

For more information, please click here.

If I want to study in Japan, what do I have to pay and when?

First, you will have to pay the School Application fee (depends on the school), after we have reviewed and checked all your documents.

You will need to pay the Tuition fees only after the Japanese Bureau of Immigration has issued your Certificate of Eligibility. Once that happens, we send you a copy of the Certificate and the school issues the invoice. Upon receipt of your payment, we will send you the original of the Certificate of Eligibility by Express Mail (usually DHL).

Are the tuition fees refundable?

In the event that you did not get a student visa (even though you had been granted a Certificate of Eligibility), you will get the tuition fees back from the school. 

However, in the event that you will not be able complete your school year and need to go back to your own country, please consult the school admin as they may have different criteria in terms of determining if you are qualified for refund. 

Is the application fee refundable?

The application fee is non-refundable whether COE is approved or denied. 

Can I pay the school application fee after I get admitted?

Some schools require the students to pay the application fee before submitting the application to Immigration. Otherwise your application won’t be processed.

There are also school who allows student to pay everything upon approval of COE.

What are the payment methods?

Students must pay application and tuition fees directly to their school. They can pay their school directly through bank to bank transfer. Student must shoulder the bank fee. 

Some school also accepts payment via Flywire™. Once payment is done, please give school at least 2-3 banking days to confirm payment.  


How can I get a visa to study in Japan?

Once you received your COE (Certificate of Eligibility), the final step to get your student visa to Japan. To get student visa one need to make an application at the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate. To apply for student visa you need to submit following documents:

– Your COE (Certificate of Eligibility) – original
– Admission certificate (Acceptance certificate, Enrollment certificate) 
– Valid passport 
– Photo, passport-size photograph taken within last 6 months ( please check embassy website for specification) 
– Student visa application form (filled in digital or by hand using block letters)

– Other documents (Embassy might ask for additional documents, it depends on applicant’s nationality and embassy for various reasons to make a decision on applicant’s application)

Please note that in some countries application must be coursed through agencies accredited by the Embassy of Japan.

For more information, click here.

What Fees should I pay during the application process?

You may need to pay the application fee for the school which you are applying for, but most of the schools don’t charge them.

Motivist Japan also does not charge any fee. However, for some countries ( Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, etc.) small fee may apply.

When should I apply?

Applicants should apply for their chosen school and course at least six months before the starting date if they are planning to come to Japan with a student visa.

Deadlines for applicants who need student visa are as follows:

Deadline                                             Stating date

July         ~    September                January

August       ~       October                     April

January     ~       March                        July

February   ~       April                           October

What is the Application Procedure?

1. Choose a school 

2. Complete the online application

3. Send us all the required documents by email

4. Motivist Japan screens your documents, advises and guides you accordingly

5. Motivist Japan checks and submits all necessary documents to your chosen school

6. Send us the original of all documents for submission to Japanese Immigration.

We facilitate and speed up the whole application process, so that you don’t have any issues with your application or visas, everything is done properly and on timely manner.

We will also update you regularly on your application process, and we usually respond within 24 hours.

All of the above is done in your native language or in English. Motivist Japan currently offers services in English, French, Chinese and German.

Can I apply to the school directly?

Applying directly to school is okay however since there are 4 intakes in a year, these schools are usually busy and reply to your inquiry may take a while. Some school may or may not have staff that speaks your language so it may cause also cause some delay. 

In Motivist Japan, we have staff who speaks Japanese, French, Chinese, German and English. We make sure that we respond on time and we keep our students updated with the process. Also, school staff prefer speaking in Japanese so we can communicate and relay the information faster. 

By getting our service, you get all the support at no cost. 

Check our Blog article on this topic here.

I am not sure what course I should choose. What shall I do?

Make sure your objectives are clearly defined. For example, do you intend to join a high education institution in Japan after learning the language? If yes, enroll in intensive course. 

You may want to have a look at information posted on our site. For a good start, please click here.

How much does Motivist Japan charge students?

Our service is free for students enrolling in our affiliated schools. 

What help can I get from Motivist Japan?

Motivist Japan offers information on variety of topics such as language courses, educational institutions, life in Japan, and much more. We offer professional advice and services on how to find and apply to a suitable school according to each student’s choice, how to enroll in your chosen courses, help with visa process, organizing your accommodation, and even help with finding part-time jobs.

We also keep in touch with all of our students while they are studying in Japan, help and guide them if needed.

I have been promised by another agent that they can find a job in advance. Why don’t you do that too?

If an agent tells you so, run away! No one can promise you a job in advance. To be allowed to work in Japan, you will first need to apply once you are in Japan. Also, there are qualification that a company set when they hire employees. You need to pass this criteria before you will be able to work. There are sets of interviews too so make sure you have good level of Japanese.

If an agency is offering job in Japan for a fee, please check with Embassy to avoid falling for these scams. 

Can I apply through an agent in my country?

Yes, you can apply through an agency at your own country. However, we do recommend getting an agency in Japan as it is easier for agency to communicate to school directly and even after arriving in Japan. 

That’s why we recommend using our services here at Motivist Japan for no fee.

What city shall I choose?

Obviously, this is a personal decision, depending on your preferences and depending on your objectives. For example, if you intend to look for a job after your language studies, you should consider choosing a school in Tokyo, by far the largest city in Japan. You would then increase your chances to find a job that suits you. The climate is also something to consider: if you cannot withstand the cold, avoid Hokkaido. If, on the contrary, you intend to spend a summer in Japan and hate a very warm weather, then Hokkaido would be a good place for that matter. Take the time to consider all the criteria that are relevant to you. To learn more about Japanese cities, click here.

What documents do I need to submit to apply to a Japanese language school?

Passport copy
Education background (certificates for completed degrees, letter from school if currently enrolled)
Certificate of Japanese language studies (if applicable)
Bank statements
An essay will also have to be written

Other documents may be required, depending on each school. Refer to the Student Guide



Is there an age limit to study in Japan?

There is no age limit to study in Japan. However, if you are over 30 years old, chances are that the Immigration office will look more closely at your application. If you want to know about your specific situation, feel free to contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

How much money does it cost to study in Japan?

Prices may vary from school to school but you can estimate the cost to be about 80,000 yen per month (including text books and everything needed for studies, excluding daily expenses out of school), thus about 8,000 USD or 7,000 Euros per year.

How can I get a visa to study in Japan?

Getting a visa to study in Japan can prove to be somewhat troublesome. A lot of paperwork is required and it can take a long time. But this is one of the services provided by Motivist Japan: we basically take care of everything and help expedite the process – you will only have to pickup your visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

For more information, click here.

How long would it take me to become fluent?

It usually takes a 1 year program from a Japanese language school for foreign students to reach JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) Level N2. Level N2 is what enables students to get admitted to Japanese higher education institutes (or look for jobs). Of course, it depends on each individual: their skills, their motivation and commitment. But if you follow your school’s recommendation, you will reach your goals, just like thousands of foreign students in Japan do each year.

I want to go to a Japanese University. Why should I first go to a language school?

In Japan, higher education institutes (universities, junior colleges, colleges of technology, vocational schools, graduate schools) offer programs in Japanese only. There are only a few exceptions. Therefore, if you are serious about studying in Japanese higher education, you should consider learning the language first and reach JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) Levels N2 or N1. This is what is usually required to get admitted. You will also likely have to take the EJU (Examinations for Japanese University Admission for International students). Consider your language study as a preparation for your higher education. 

Is it possible for me to study in Japan?

If you are 18 years old and above, completed 12 years of study (equivalent in Japan) and financially sound, you can apply to our school to study in Japan. 

Please visit our Student Guide for detailed requirements.